.

.

Friday, May 11, 2012

From awning shed to concrete



Mission History No 4

but what matters in the mission are concrete people  keen in doctrine and not concrete building






Elder Ling in 1980
He is the unpolished diamond










Attap hut where the temple altar was housed
at Woodlands before moving out to awning shed


The original awning shed with metal pipe poles.
One of the rooms in atap hut in background is where
the shrine hall was before moving out to awning shed.
The shed was donated by Poona. Notice the urn
of God Almighty and the black flag of temple at fore



The renovated awning shed
with zinc roof and walls at Woodlands

Excerpts from Elder Ling's draft memoirs - abridged version

"I held the position as President in Bo Tien Organization for almost 25 years – 1970 to 1972, 1974 to April 1982, 1984 to 1993 and 2002 to March 2004. This position was dedicated to me by Lord Bo Tien. He cautioned me not to pass the chair to anyone without his permission. In spite of this, I stepped down on several occasions but only returned during crisis times. Though in his 1981 anniversary message, he instructed me not to falter in the mission, I had on numerous occasions in his descent requested him to release me of my responsibilities. It was because I saw the inconsistencies of the late medium going coupled with the manifest behavior of most members in their response to my stand, in implementing reform in the temple practices in accordance with the Lord Bo Tien’s directions. Lord Bo Tien however, asked me to leave the issue of the medium to him and advised me to exercise patience and tolerance with the members.
......................................................................................................
.....................................................................................................
..................................................................................................."



( *The welfare section however in the ensuing interim absence of Elder Ling at the helm came to become distinct from the religious entity / temple and took on an entity of its own --- the welfare services society. This is not consistent with original thinking but is acceptable somewhat. Is this more to facilitate personal and social convenience of sorts? Perhaps, this would facilitate those not spiritually motivated by the lord saint and those not religiously inclined to be involved and to have some roles and association. Pragmatism thus did call the tune but not to the liking of Elder Ling. But the Mission Head had to let the prevailing majority have their way though he was and still is hard headed and in many ways a tough nut to crack. This is him which earned him the description by the lord saint as the unpolished diamond of the mission. He has as many detractors as those who see eye to eye with him but he is known to remain firm and hard like the unpolished diamond)





"In 1984, my 1974 understanding of Lord Bo Tien’s directions was clearer. The management conceded somewhat to my ideas to introduce reforms in praying and practices – discourage old habits of burning joss sticks and joss papers – so as to keep the environment clear from pollution. The shrine hall would cease supply joss sticks for members and devotees. For the time being, the main urn would be kept for the convenience of devotees who were unaware of the change taking place. Notices to this effect were placed prominently around the shrine." 

"But many would secretly put back the joss sticks in the shrine. In the mean time, whenever there was opportunity, I opened up my little understanding on Bo Tien’s teachings to the founder members. They were not receptive and condemned it as figments of my own imagination. Some devotees however, took my understanding as refreshing. Founder members kept me at distance after that."

"Architectural plans include fish pond, sky dome and four pillars with water curtain to project serenity and air of simplicity. These plans for the temple building were ready by year 2002 and contract works had also been awarded. Before the first pile went into the ground, we had an AGM which was around March for election of management for term 2002 - 2003. Few weeks earlier, I had just undergone a major operation. I was still recuperating when I attended the AGM. Strange as it might be, my name was the first to be nominated for the post of President. I declined so were the incumbent and all others that followed. The assembly then decided to let Lord Bo Tien do the selection through the “bei”. I knew in my mind, by this means, I could not escape from being selected. The incumbent personally cast a negative “Bei”, Mr Lionel Wong who cast on my behalf turned to be positive. The outgoing incumbent frantically rushed up to me and shook my hand with both of his and said 'thank you, thank you' as though he had shaken off the impending heavy load from his shoulders."

"When I took over, I realized that it was indeed a heavy task ahead of me. The total construction cost was $8.3 million excluding the land cost which had been fully settled. The temple funds stood at $8 hundred thousand though there were about $6 million under the welfare services society accounts which could not be used for temple construction. I then decided to call in the main and subcontractors to inform them of our financial status. I was met with strong objection from the committee who felt that contractor might not proceed with the construction works. My response to their objection was that we had to be open and honest and leave the rest to Lord Bo Tien to show the way."
Concrete success

"Soon after and before we met the main and subcontractors, the media reported a case similar to ours. A temple sued the contractor for stoppage of work half way through and the contractor countered sued the temple for not being honest with them on their financial status. The contractor won the case. My firm decision was well received by the committee after that. On the financial side, we were advised and confirmed by our auditor that we could use the welfare society* funds to construct the temple but via loan. With this big load settled and more donations coming in, we promptly completed the whole project in good time without any hitch."

 The sky dome towering over the octagon or bagua shrine




The glass dome over the altar at the bagua shrine


The altar at back of octagon or bagua  shrine

One of four firbre glass pillars amidst the koi pond
surrounding bagua shrine. Each pillar has watery curtain 


The koi pond around and under the bagua shrine floor



Below are snapshots of the aged home facilities, exercise and rest areas at the temple in Singapore ---- photos courtesy of Elder Ling




No comments:

Post a Comment